For those who have the Part of the struggle of people sharing their faith is thinking that they are not confident in what they believe, we'd like to fix that. Below are points and audio to equip you who desire to serve in being confident in being a new believers counselor.
Follow-Up Counseling Checklist
Follow-Up Counseling Checklist
- Be friendly! – You are the first person to talk to this new believer after they just made the biggest decision of their life. Be excited for them!
- Be natural – Don’t feel as though you need to follow a script. Be led by the Holy Spirit as you minister to this person where they are.
- Be personal – Remember their name! Show someone that you genuinely care for them by showing them that you are a sinner just like them, forgiven by Christ!
- Make sure that they understand the gospel
- Many people come forward for alter calls for a variety of reasons, but don’t understand what it means to receive Christ
- Ephesians 2:8 “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Ask something like: What was God doing in your heart when you came forward?
- Prayer – Encourage the person that they are a child of God, and that God wants to communicate with them through a personal relationship. Explain that prayer does not have to be formal or fancy, but is simply talking to your Creator about anything! (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- The Word of God – Encourage them that in order to grow in the Lord, it is essential to read the Bible. Lead them to the Gospel of John, and share that reading just a little bit every day and meditating on God’s Word is crucial to growth. (Hebrews 4:12)
- Fellowship – Your role is not to disciple, but to lead them to a place that they can be discipled. Encourage them to get plugged into a local church that teaches the Bible, and to surround themselves with believers who can encourage them in their walk with God. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Share your faith – Encourage them that being a Christian is about being a disciple of Christ, and making His name known. Sharing about the decision that they made with family, friends, co-workers, etc. will strengthen their own faith and allow them to be used by God. (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Pray for them – Their walk with the Lord is just beginning! Pray for the Lord to strengthen them, as well as any other prayer requests they might have.
Materials to Distribute
- Bible: You will be given a New Believers Bible with great questions and commentary.
- Supplemental Materials: “Ben Born Again” booklet, Bridge bookmark, and church list to help direct them to a church based on where they live.
- Follow-up card: A brief paper for them to fill out so that we can follow-up with them. Stress that we don’t want money/donations!
- Keep it brief! This is not a full counseling session, but rather a stepping stone into a walk with the Lord. Conversations should last about 5 minutes on average.
- Need Help? If someone comes to you with a lot of questions, or maybe an addiction or something that you feel as though you need help to handle, pastors and leaders will be available to assist you.
Listen to the entire session below.
Do you feel enriched and prepared?! Sign up to serve as a Follow up Counselor here!